22 September 2008

Childcare woes …

Now that grant application deadlines are looming I wish that the city I live in had more flexible and affordable childcare. In recent years the quality of childcare has improved in leaps and bounds and there are a wide variety of choices. That’s the good news. The bad news is that waiting lists are very long and part-time care is nearly non-existent. Also for a scientist who is between grants (something that happens to even the best of researchers) the cost of care (which is higher than rent or college tuition where I live) is prohibitive. So like many parents who are trying to stay-in-the-game in academia, I am taking care of my baby by day and working by night. It is exhausting, but it is the best I can do at the moment.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Hon, this is your first comment! And I tag you with your first meme! TAG!!!
You have to write down six random things about yourself and then tag six other people (which is also optional, but well, it is fun and a nice way to get to know other bloggers better).
And it distracts from real world problems