04 December 2012

All I want for the holidays

Life continues to rush by at an alarming pace, despite the best intentions of my last post about taking time to slow down. But this morning I took a moment to pause and I stumbled upon an interesting report by the UK group Family Action.

I am a self-professed Grinch when it comes to consumerism during the holidays (my poor family knows this well). That is why I was heartened to see this report. Apart from my usual rant about consuming less to help preserve what is left of our environment (as David Suzuki put it "A strong economy is important, but the biosphere is more important."), it would seem that presents are not the most important thing to kids during the holidays (despite what the adds would have us believe).

Now if I only liked cooking a bit better ... Well, we can always make cookies. And in the spirit of “everyone is different” perhaps my contribution could be getting everyone out for a holiday hike!

No comments: