17 June 2011

Academic Women Sans Babies


I must embarrassingly admit that I haven’t gotten a huge response to my query about people's responses to the NY Times article about four women scientists at the top of their fields.  However, I have talked with several women about this and there seem to be differences in the responses between women with and without children.  I’m still hoping for some more comments, so I’ll leave that for now, except to say that you can still drop a comment (and get your friends to do so too). 

 

Image: renjith krishnan / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Now to switch gears.  I am guilty of including the topic of children and motherhood in most of my thinking and blogging about women in science.  However, I am aware that there are many women in science who do not have kids (for many reasons, one of which is that they do not want kids).  These women also struggle to stay in the game.  This highlights the fact that women face barriers irrespective of their reproductive status.  Furthermore, for women in science without kids these barriers might be even higher. Men with kids are revered for being super dads and super scientists.  Women with kids are admired for managing to “have it all”.  Both men and women with kids can play the “baby card” when they are exhausted or burnt out.  However, women without kids also get exhausted, have bad days, run into prejudice, but they have no card to play, they must be super scientists, made of titanium, all the time. 
On that note: I recently came across a great blog post, tied to a great survey, that assembled a panel of women academics to answer questions on life in academia without mentioning kids or motherhood.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this - and thanks for the link. It's nice to see that people are also thinking about obstacles for women in STEM fields that apply whether you have children or not.